Monday, May 25, 2009

Got a new phone: nokia 5800

I finally managed to order a nokia 5800 after days of pondering whether to buy it or not. I suffer from compulsive buyer’s remorse disorder. This manifests itself in the way that I keep searching and analyzing before buying anything. For eg. when I decided that I had to get a smartphone, the process became one long time wasting avenue.

I must have spent hours and hours on tech review sites, going through phone after phone. I had called multiple vendors, my service provider, alternative services asking for the best plans and then still not decided. Every time I did that, I felt pangs of guilt that I was wasting so much time on looking and maybe I would be better of not buying anything.
Finally I decided to buy one of Ebay: a unlocked G1 for about 290 bucks. It was a good deal and I was happy that I had put an end to my search. But that was not to be. No sooner had placed by bid and won it, I realized that the seller had only 2 reviews and that from the same person. It was an overseas vendor. Then started the next process, scourging for ways to spot scamsters on ebay. I was satisfied with the protection Paypal was providing. I went through their T&Cs and saw quite a few omissions and loopholes which could have left me in the red. After a day of reading up stuff on Ebay frauds, I decided that all signs pointed towards my seller  being a fraud and I decided not to go ahead with the purchase.
Back again to the search, after a couple of weeks I saw a deal on dell.com for Nokia 5800 for 250 bucks after rebate. I decided to go ahead with it immediately primarily because I was frustrated with myself for whiling away so much time. Anyways it was done and yesterday I finally got my phone. First impressions look good, as I already knew what to expect thanks to my endless online review reading. My own detailed review should come pretty soon and till then adios!
Technorati Tags: ,,,